Snoring doesn’t just affect you but also everyone else who is in the vicinity when you sleep. Even though snoring seems like just an annoying noise that is common in all households, it can keep you and your loved ones from getting restful sleep. It can stress relationships, and snoring is the most common symptom of sleep apnea, a potentially life-threatening disease.Thankfully with proper diagnosis of your snoring problem by way of a polysomnogram, Dr. Dunayer can give you the snoring treatment you need to sleep quietly at night. There are a variety of snoring treatment options available.
Snoring Treatment 101
First and foremost, the best thing patients who suffer from snoring can do is to change a few behavioral habits that are known to cause simple, occasional snoring. Some things to consider are:
- What position do you lay in when you sleep? Try sleeping on your side if you are a back sleeper. Propping yourself up may also help.
- Do you drink alcohol? If so, be sure to avoid drinking 2-3 hours before sleeping. Alcohol is a relaxant and depressant and will cause your muscles to relax more when you sleep, which can mean that your body is so relaxed that it fails to maintain an open airway.
- Do you suffer from allergies, asthma, respiratory infection? Nose and throat congestion can contribute to snoring. Treat any known respiratory issues. If you are sick, even with a cold, snoring can occur due to temporarily enlarged soft tissues.
- Have you tried snoring strips? Buy a pack of BreatheRight® snoring strips and see if you notice any improvement in your snoring. These strips are able to reduce nasal congestion by 20% and can do the trick for some simple snorers.
- Are you overweight? Being overweight can cause excess fat pockets to form in the neck and throat area. This excess fat can put pressure on the airway when you lay down. Dropping excess pounds may result in a quieter night’s sleep, however, it’s important to note that even if you are not overweight, you can still suffer from snoring problems or sleep apnea. Athletes like Shaquille O’Neil, army soldiers, and even marathon runners have all been diagnosed with snoring and sleep apnea problems.
If these changes do not stop your snoring, consult with Dr. Dunayer for a professional opinion on how to go about receivine snoring treatment to help alleviate your snoring. Methods such as anti-snoring devices and snoring mouthpieces can help you have a restful quiet night.
Oral appliances made by sleep dentists to treat snoring have become more and more popular. These snoring mouthpiece appliances are worn at night and work by repositioning the mandible (the lower jaw) into a forward position, which also advances the tongue so that the airway remains open and free of blockage that can cause vibrations. There are a variety of snoring treatment devices on the market today. Dr. Dunayer help you decide which anti-snoring device is right for you. Some anti-snoring devices are able to treat sleep apnea as well, however patients with sleep apnea should be aware that not all anti-snoring devices are not suitable or safe to use to treat sleep apnea.
Stop Snoring Now!
If you are a constant snorer, snoring treatment is a must. Don’t let snoring cause you another night’s aggravation! Contact our office today for proven snoring treatment. If you live in or near Rockland County, call our West Nyack dental office at (845)-262-2265 or contact us online.