Many Americans suffer from dental anxiety, which causes them to avoid cleanings, exams and important treatments. According to the Dental Organization for Conscious Sedation, approximately 30 percent of the U.S. population avoids dental visits thanks to this fear. Unfortunately, all too often, this leads to neglect which can result in poor oral hygiene and the need for extensive remedial care.
Fortunately, there is an alternative. Sedation dentistry can help you have a comfortable experience at the dentist. To learn more about sedation dentistry in Rockland County, please call
A Comfortable, Pain-free Experience
Dr. Dunayer understands that some people simply can’t help feeling anxious when they visit his office. Fortunately, he is trained to provide relaxing, comfortable and safe sedation dentistry that can eliminate the pain, discomfort and worry associated with dental procedures.
All you do is take a pill before coming to our office for treatment. By the time you arrive for your appointment, you will be awake and aware, but relaxed and comfortable. Your anxiety will be calmed, and you can have your dental treatment in restful comfort.
The Advantages of Sedation Dentistry
Conscious sedation makes it possible for patients who experience severe anxiety to get important preventative and restorative treatments. Safe, pain-free, and relaxing, sedation dentistry allows Dr. Dunayer to improve the smiles of his most sensitive patients, while also safeguarding their oral health and overall well-being.
With sedation dentistry, you stop having stressful dental appointments and replace your negative conditioning with a more positive sense of dental visits. Oral sedation even reduces your ability to remember the unpleasant details of your dental visits. Some patients find that after a few visits with sedation they are ready to try visits without sedation, while others just enjoy the benefits of sedation dentistry at every visit.
Are You a Good Candidate?
Ideal for patients who have avoided professional dental services for years thanks to dental anxiety, conscious sedation may also be appropriate for:
- Patients who suffer from chronic or acute jaw pain: Because sedation medication relaxes muscle tissue, it helps patients remain comfortable, allowing Dr. Dunayer to perform extensive treatments in just a single office visit.
- Patients who have physical limitations, such as neck or back problems: Because sedation dentistry promotes relaxation, it allows these types of patients to sit comfortably during lengthy procedures.
- Patients who have sensitive gag reflexes: Many patients have trouble controlling overly-sensitive gag reflexes. Sedation dentistry allows Dr. Dunayer to better serve these patients, so they can get all of their periodontal, cosmetic and restorative work completed – sometimes in just one appointment.
- Patients who have difficulty becoming numb: Some patients have problems becoming numb. In these cases, sedation dentistry provides a safe, effective alternative.
If you experience any of the above, then sedation dentistry may be appropriate for you.
Is Sedation Dentistry Safe?
Sedation dentistry is a very safe procedure, especially when practiced by a DOCS dentist. There are few risks associated with sedation dentistry. However, it may have additional risks for people who:
- Are allergic to sedation medications used
- Are taking medications or supplements that may interact with sedation medications
- Have respiratory conditions that depress breathing
It’s important to talk to your sedation dentist about your health conditions and medications. Remember, it’s not just prescriptions that can pose risks–mention all over-the-counter medications and dietary supplements.
Professional dental care is extremely important for everyone. These days, fear and anxiety don’t have to stand in the way. To find out whether you are a candidate for sedation dentistry, contact Dr. Dunayer or call our office at (845) 627-7645 to arrange a consultation.